Friday, March 2, 2007

Fionn Regan @ Nortchote Social Club 01-03-07


after missing Fionn at Damien Rice's gig early in the week I was determined not to miss a minute of him again - but it turned out there would be no chance of that!! I'm not sure whether this is a policy for Northcote Social Club or whether it was just because Fionn doesn't have a huge back catalogue - whatever - but seriously if I'm out on a school night I really want my music to start before 11:30 pm! yes maybe I am showing my age - it's not particularly 'rock and roll' to be whining about late gigs....but I don't care. I have a job to get to, but my friend Melissa is a Dr and I'd prefer if she was well rested before getting to the emergency ward - none of which is that possible when the show doesn't begin till midnight......grrrr. Anyway rant over.
I was happy that we were a little late because the warm up acts left a little to be desired, but Fionn came on still fairly enthusiastically performing his first album - The End of History. The album is rich and lyrical; one of my faves of the last while, so it was great to hear him live and relish the irish accent for another night. Like the rest of those boys he's a right charmer so kept the crowd captivated and wanting more. Also like that other Irish boy Damien Rice he brought an audience member up on stage to sing with him on what was obviously the most well known of his songs - Penny in a Slot. I have to give big props to whoever that guy was as he was fabulous......not at all an amateurish performance. Fionn played a pretty short set of only eight songs, then returned to give the audience more of what it wanted with Abacus and Be Good or Be Gone to round off the night. I am looking forward to the day his catalogue of songs expands and he can stay on stage for longer entertaining us with his beautiful storytelling and easygoing manner. For now though it was a good performance and we will just have to content ourselves with that taster until he returns again.

No comments: