Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Art Brut


It's a bit complicated
(isn't it just?)

although I generally prefer not to get too personal about these reviews and instead focus on the music,
somehow this seems like the soundrack to my own life right now.....from the title onwards it strikes a chord. simple tales of making mix tapes, starting new relationships, ending others, hanging out and just living life. the lyrics are so simple but they are still witty and charming like Bang Bang Rock & Roll...the album just sounds like life in all it's banal and fun glory.
some of the picks:
"I can't say I'm not enjoying the kissing, but I've a sneaking suspicion, you're not really listening. I know I shouldn't, is it so wrong? to break from your kiss to turn up a pop song." (from Pump up the volume hear it on their myspace page)
"just a couple of friends, hanging out with each other, we started to swap tapes to soundtrack our summer, tapes that are full of the things we can't say, during the day." (Sound of Summer listen to this track here)
who could resist that?

Art Brut are not trying to be anything they are not. This is pared down rock, and it's good. it may not have the newness and novelty of Bang Bang Rock & Roll (or great song like 'we started a band') but it's a consisently decent second effort and you won't be able to help turning in on over and over again.

No comments: