Saturday, June 2, 2007

Clap your hands say Yeah!! (Hi-Fi Bar 22 May)


Despite the crazy workload at university, I was not about to let my tickets to see the boys of Clap your Hands Say Yeah! go to waste. It may have signified the loss of a few more hours of sleep, but it sure was worth it. I've been in love with the sounds of CYHSY since early 2006 and just waiting for the chance to see them in the flesh. I have heard a few horror stories about their live performances around the traps, but sometimes you have to make up your own mind. This is definitely a band who struggle with the ups and downs of the hype machine, going from everyone's favourite unsigned band to everyone's favourite band to rant about. Their second album Some Loud Thunder came out this year to mixed reviews at best, but I have to say it's a pretty decent sophomore effort (although clearly not as good as their first self titled release)

I was in the mood to dance, and dance I did along to Alec Ounsworths very distinctive voice and the hyper rhythms of the band. There were a few issues early with sound (or lack thereof for Lee Sargent's guitar) but everyone was having too much fun to notice too much.

The CYHSY back catalogue is not exactly expansive, so we got to hear practically everything from their first two albums, with particularly great versions of the skin of my yellow country teeth, details of the war, is this love, satan said dance, upon this tidal wave...... I could go on and on. A lot of the material sounds better live than on the albums (such as Satan said Dance) and the additional jams and crazy freak outs were worth the entry price alone. I really needed to get lost for a while this night and they managed help me do this effortlessly. Even my uni buddy who had never heard them before got caught up in the whole thing - there was just a great, fun and positive vibe there (despite the increasing temperatures) and you couldn't help but be affected by it.

The boys seemed genuinely surprised at times at the reception from the very responsive at Hi-Fi bar but it did appear to give them that little extra lift which meant we were all happy. I know they often struggle with technical issues at their shows, and to be honest, much of their music relies on the sound equipment working 'just right'.....I'm just glad I either didn't care as I needed to have a break, or just that this night it wasn't such a big deal. Clap your Hands.... are not for everyone, and Alec's voice is definitely an acquired taste, but if you give these guys a chance, I reckon you get a pretty good reward.


You may notice my pics are better and clearer than usual this entry - and I have Mr Barry O'Reilly to thank for this increase in visual quality at least. I think I will try and make him be my regular gig photographer! ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey FG,
Wish I'd made it to the gig now!
Will have to check out their second album. Great pics too - I think you should definitely leave the visual side to your friend Barry! :p
M

feline-groovy said...

hey!!!!
i'm not sure you are meant to agree with me Mr!