Wednesday, June 13, 2007

handsome furs - plague park


I'm not sure what is in the water in Canada at the moment, but whatever it is I like it.

Dan Boeckner (of Wolf Parade) and his
fiancée, Alexei Perry teamed up as Handsome Furs this year to release the wonderful yet understated album Plague Park. It's amazing what these guys do with a guitar, a drum machine and some ragged, emotion filled vocals. Chuck in some synth and distorted electro beats and they get themselves a winner. This is pretty stripped back stuff, which is filled with a backdrop of discontentment, and yet somehow it's very satisfying....the imperfection only adding to the beauty.

Lyrics are a strong point here, all dissatisfaction and longing, repressed anger and desolation....check out Snakes on the Ladder, Can't Get Started and Sing Captain in particular.

I know it's a side project, and I want to hear more Wolf Parade for sure, but I hope there's more to come from Handsome Furs.

No comments: